Thursday, February 5, 2009

Paradise Lost - John Milton

We are including the line numbers, along with line breaks, for easy reference.
  • "What in me is dark/ Illumine what is low raise and support/ that to the height of this great argument/ I may assert internal providence/ And justify the ways of God to men" I 22-26
  • "A mind cannot be changed by place and time/ The mind is its own place and in itself/ can make a heavn'n of hell, a hell of heav'n." I 253-55
  • "Awake, arise, or be forever fallen." I 330
  • Here we may reign secure, and in my choice/ to reign is worth ambition, though in hell:/better to reign in Hell, than serve in heavn'n" I 261-263
  • "To be weak is miserable." I 157
  • "What though the field be lost? All is not lost; the unconquerable will/ and study of revenge, immortal hate/ and courage never to submit or yield." I 105-8
  • "Long is the way/ and hard, that leads out of heavn' and into light." I 432-33
  • "I made him just and right/ sufficient to have stood, though free to fall." III 98-99
  • "So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear/ farewell remorse; all good to me is lost;/ evil, be thou my good." IV 108-10
  • "Eased the putting off/ these troublesome disguises which we wear." IV 750-51
  • "Freely we serve/ because we freely love, as in our will/ to love or not; in this we stand or fall." V 538-540
  • "Grace was in all her steps, heav'n in her eye/ in every gesture dignity and love." VII 488-89
  • "Her virtue and conscience of her worth/ that would be wooed and not unsought, be won." VII 502-3
  • "Among the faithless, faithful only he." V 897
  • "So dear I love him that with him all deaths/ I could endure, without him live no life." IX 832-33.

1 comment:

  1. "better to reign in Hell, than serve in heavn'n"

    I read this book at Hofstra; very glad I did so.

    That's been a favorite quote of mine ever since.

    ReplyDelete